Re: Q for the Candidates: How many users?

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 09:45:13PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 02:27:23PM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> > Anthony Towns wrote:
> >
> > >   * www.debian.org/social_contract says Debian's "priorities are our
> > > users and free software",
> > >   * popcon.debian.org currently reports 91,523 submissions,
> > >   * popcon.ubuntu.com currently reports 1,493,440 submissions, and
> > >   * that this is something of a trick question,
> >
> > That results in a different question for me: Does Ubuntu enforce the usage of
> > pocon, and should Debian do so, too?
>
> I don't know whether Ubuntu does that; and frankly, I don't think it
> holds any relevance to what we do.

OTOH, if popcon is mandatory on Ubuntu, it means the popcon result for
Ubuntu more or less reflects the number of Ubuntu users. It also means
that, according to your estimate of the number of Debian users, Ubuntu
is not as far ahead as at least I would have thought.

Mike