Re: Q for the Candidates: How many users?

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 02:27:23PM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> >   * www.debian.org/social_contract says Debian's "priorities are our
> > users and free software",
> >   * popcon.debian.org currently reports 91,523 submissions,
> >   * popcon.ubuntu.com currently reports 1,493,440 submissions, and
> >   * that this is something of a trick question,
> That results in a different question for me: Does Ubuntu enforce the usage of
> pocon, and should Debian do so, too?

I don't know whether Ubuntu does that; and frankly, I don't think it
holds any relevance to what we do.

As to whether we should 'enforce' popcon, the answer is a clear 'no' to
me. Firstly, we can't enforce anything -- we provide Free Software,
which by definition can be modified to remove anything we would like to
'enforce'. Secondly, I don't think popcon is so important that we should
require it from our users.

It is a good idea to strongly suggest that it be installed, and our
current installer does that. But beyond that? No.

trying to fool the system.