Re: Firmware

Joey Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> wrote:
> Luk Claes wrote:
> > It's of course possible to load firmware from extra media during
> > installation or install the right package (from non-free) when booting
> > back to an older kernel (to have network again) to be able to use the
> > network with the new kernel...
> >
> > What do people think of a new vote regarding the status of firmware? One
> > of the options can probably be Peter Palfrader's proposal [1].
>
> I would rather like to keep binary firmware blobs outside of Debian/main
> and maintain them in Debian/non-free with improved and easy ways to load
> them during the installation.

I agree with the above.  I think a lot of the criticism is more to do
with the particular implementation making it unnecessarily difficult
to load firmware (it took me three attempts I think - the documents
weren't clear but I thought it was just me being dense) rather than
the general principle.

> We might require a new vote in order to release squeeze at some date.

Amen.
--
MJR/slef