Re: Amendment: automatic expiry-on-failure, to Proposal: Enhance requirements for General resolutions

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 02:55:32PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:

> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:37:02PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > > AMENDMENT START
> > > ========================================================================
> > > Replace "too small" with "thought to be too small, but there is a
> > > lack of evidence about the correct level".
> > >
> > > Replace clause c with "c) if general resolutions are proposed but none
> > > receives the required number of seconds in a year, this resolution
> > > expires and the required number of seconds returns to K."
> > > ========================================================================
> > > AMENDMENT END
> >
> > Seconded, in principle, but it has some issues:
> > - What if no GRs are proposed in the first year?
>
> Then the "if general resolutions are proposed" condition isn't
> satisfied and clause c isn't active - in effect, the expiry clock
> hasn't started.  How can it be made clearer?

Ah, that wasn't clear, indeed. I read it as "if no general resolution is
voted on within the first year", but that's not what you meant.

Alternative wording, hrm.

Something like:

If one year after the first proposed general resolution since this
resolution is accepted no proposal has received the required number of
seconds, this resolution expires (...)

Would seem clearer; the "in a year" in your wording really isn't
stating explicitly enough that it is meant to start after the first GR
proposal.

> > - You should probably make it explicit that DPL elections do not count
> >   :-)
>
> I thought the constitution was pretty obvious that DPL elections are
> not general resolutions (for example, "5.2. Appointment" says "The
> quorum is the same as for a General Resolution")

Hm, good point.

> but to be clear, how about adding "under sections 4.1.2 to 4.1.6
> (inclusive) of the current constitution" after "proposed" in clause c?

Something like that could work, although you're right that it isn't
actually necessary.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22