Re: Question to Stefano, Steve and Luk about the organisation into packaging teams.

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> > I expressly refrained to answer your mail because it targetted the DPL
> > candidate but IMO it's one those "false good ideas until you make it a
> > reality". I'm all for a team of many people improving the base packages,
> > so find those people and start triaging and writing patches _together_
> > with the actual maintainers.
>
> Well, some time back I wrote some patches for coreutils. Unfortunately
> they are not yet integrated, but thats not the fault of the maintainer.

I don't know what leads you to say this but yes, real bugs that are not
Debian-specific are best fixed upstream or in coordination with upstream.

> However I think it could help if the project decides that this is a good idea
> and (if needed) can overrrule single maintainers. Because you surely know
> that there are people who simply don't accept the fact, that they are
> overloaded with the work they beared on themselves.

We can certainly do something if we have good maintainers that are willing
to do the job if the actual maintainer is actively blocking work, but in
most of the cases I have not seen active opposition.

> > But don't explain your plan by saying "maintainers of core packages suck"
> > (even if they sometimes do) but rather with "we want our core packages to
> > be in the best possible shape and we will help the maintainers to achieve
> > this goal".
>
> Thats not what I did. Telling that our core tools have a large number of
> bugs that are partially ignored, however, is something one could say, while
> not saying that the maintainers of the packages suck.

I did not say that you did it, but I warned you to not fall in the trap.
That's all.

> Which one? One that were started shortly before the Lenny release?
> Atleast I replied in a similar thread and said that it would be a good idea.

I replied to your -private mail and moved it to -project.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2009/03/msg00081.html

It's precisely because such a metric is useless that I replied. :)
I tried to point you in other ways to responsabilize maintainers
that have trouble recognizing that they are overloaded.

Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/