Re: Question for all candidates about http://wiki.debian.org/DiscussionsAfterLenny

Le Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:04:59PM +0000, Steve McIntyre a écrit :

> I can also see that you have your own menu/desktop topic there too
> that I expect you'll want to raise. What are your plans for that?
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/DiscussionsAfterLenny

Hi Steve,

First I plan to produce a document that presents the proposal whith avoiding
misunderstandings, and to present it when the issues on top of the list will
have been solved. I will not jump the queue.

Then the first issue is programmatic: the Debian Menu is managed by some
software written in C, and I am not a C programmer. So the goal of the kick-off
discussion will not only be to get a broad consensus that using the fd.o format
is good, but also to convince somebody to write the code. I think that the main
argument for the proposal is that after swithching to a widespread format, we
can submit Upstream the fd.o menu entries that can be used as is (and I really
think that it will be the majority), which would be a nice contribution from
Debian to the communauty, and would also reduce the complexity of our packages
and in the end reduce our workload (especially now that we have triggers).

Then goes the hard work: bug reporting, acceptance of the switch by DDs,
writing a Lintian check, submitting entries in Upstream BTSes, subitting
patches in our BTS, commiting patches in some VCSes,… I hope that by the time
all of this is started, the discussions on the quality of our archive will have
beared fruits and that we will be less shy removing packages that are obviously
unmaintained and that nowbody wants to adopt.

Last year I reviewed the debtags of ~100 packages in one month and a half; this
makes me confident that if I have a few monthes plus some help, I can fuel
perseverance and get the transition done.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan