Re: Question for all candidates about http://wiki.debian.org/DiscussionsAfterLenny

Hi Charles,

Apologies for the delay in responding: I've been ill (as *always*
seems to happen around the DPL election period) and then had a funeral
to attend today. I hope next week is better...!

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:13:30AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

>Our Consitution suggests a stronger leadership of the DPL the discussions:
>
> 9. Lead discussions amongst Developers.
>
>    The Project Leader should attempt to participate in discussions amongst the
>    Developers in a helpful way which seeks to bring the discussion to bear on the
>    key issues at hand. The Project Leader should not use the Leadership position
>    to promote their own personal views.
>
>http://www.debian.org/devel/constitution.en.html#5
>
>Given how heated discussions can become in Debian, it seems that many previous
>Leaders have chosen to have a cooling role rather than a conducting role.
>Nevertheless, how do you intend to act in the context of this 5.1.9 article if
>you are elected ?

What I've done so far is to encourage people making sensible points in
discussions where possible. I've not directly posted myself in many of
the larger heated debates over the last year, as I don't think that's
necessarily the best way to help. I hope to have more time to help cut
short some of the over-long discussions in the future, though: we have
a number of people at the moment who seem content to spend nigh-on all
their time on mailing lists and comparatively little actually *doing*
Debian work.

>In particular, there is already a long list of subjects on the
>Wiki. Can you comment about it ?

The wiki page [1] is an excellent way to help keep track of the
discussions that need to be returned to, and I'm glad that Miriam
started it for us. In the cases of the two major specific discussions
that we postponed until after Lenny (membership and non-free), we do
need to get back to those soon before they cast a shadow over Squeeze
too! Matthew Johnson has already tried to kick-start them, but without
much success yet.

I can also see that you have your own menu/desktop topic there too
that I expect you'll want to raise. What are your plans for that?

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DiscussionsAfterLenny

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
 English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on
 occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
 unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."  -- James D. Nicoll