Re: Overriding vs Amending vs Position statement

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> writes:
>> On Fri May 01 16:16, Steve Langasek wrote:

>>> No one has the authority to declare, a priori, for the entire
>>> project, that a given position statement is in conflict with a FD.

> This seems to advocate the possibility that a statement could be in
> conflict with the foundation documents “for some people”.
>
> Are you saying the statement “this proposal conflicts with the
> foundation documents” can be true for some people simultaneously with
> being false for other people?

Of course it can be!  That would only not be true if we had unanimity
over the meaning of the foundation documents, which we clearly do not,
or if we had a body in Debian with the power to declare the canonical
meaning of the foundation documents for all developers, which similarly
we do not.