Re: Question for DPL Candidates: Debian $$$

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:43:06PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
>Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>> Do you have any further ideas yourself on where we should spend our
>> money?
>
>How about paying grants to other charities to evaluate debian, to
>adapt it to meet their needs and deploy it, or to hold meetings to do
>that?

That sounds like something that *might* work, but I'd be very wary of
committing to anything without a detailed proposal. What would be your
expectation of cost, for example?

I've also had it suggested that we could/should pay for similar
evaluations for government usage around the world, but that can get
*very* expensive with no guarantee of any benefit at all.

I'll admit that I also have misgivings about just passing on to third
parties the money that donors have chosen to give to *us*. I'd rather
investigate other avenues to use the money directly within Debian, to
be frank.

You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me