Re: Question for DPL Candidates: Debian $$$

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:43:06PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
> > Do you have any further ideas yourself on where we should spend our
> > money?
> How about

I don't get much of the actual payment you are proposing to do, let's
see.

> paying grants to other charities to evaluate debian,

What does this mean? Paying someone to "evaluate" debian? I don't get
this ...

> to adapt it to meet their needs and deploy it,

Who will be payed to do the development and deployment? If that boils
down to paying DDs, then it is a no-go for me. If otherwise that boils
down to paying external people, you will first need to convince me
that you have looked for volunteers and you've found none.

> or to hold meetings to do that?

That, on the contrary, is perfectly reasonable and I will be all for
that.

> I was at a meeting for local voluntary and community infrastructure
> organisations and the most-mentioned reason for not considering
> debian seemed to be a lack of resources.  Meanwhile, the debian
> project seems to have surplus resources.  This seems a bit of a daft
> situation.

Please expand this argument. Who was looking for resources and which
kind of resources where they looking for?