Re: Question to Stefano, Steve and Luk about the organisation into packaging teams.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 01:19:27PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>Dear Stefano, Steve and Luk,

Hi again Charles!

>I like a lot Stefano's statement about collaborative maintainance:
>"Collaborative maintenance should not be mandatory (we do have several very
>efficient one-man-band developers), but should be our default".
>
>First of all, I would be interested to know if it is a point of divergence
>between the candidates. Then, if there is interest for such a discussion, I
>would like to encourage you to develop your ideas on this subject, especially
>on what you can do as a DPL or DPL assistant.

I'm very much a fan of people working together on their packages, but
I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to make teams the default. If
people are happy and able to work effectively on their packages
without help, then that's up to them. Of course, for bigger packages
and groups of packages then team maintenance is clearly a good
plan. The perl team are a great example of how teams can work
together, and I'd encourage other people to follow their lead here.

I've long been an advocate of NMs (and now DMs) joining Debian and
learning / developing their skills by working with existing teams
rather than just going and packaging something new because they feel
they need to. That just leaves us with lots of packages in the archive
that people don't really care about. You can see that I've mentioned
this in my election platform in previous years. If we can encourage
new people to join teams in this way, we get a better view of the new
people too.

P.S. Damn, just read Zack's answer and we don't seem to differ very
much. Oh well... :-)

"It's actually quite entertaining to watch ag129 prop his foot up on
 the desk so he can get a better aim."          [ seen in ucam.chat ]