Re: Proposal - Project infrastructure team procedures

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 07:45:10AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> Josip Rodin wrote:
> > Anyway, I'd agree to stripping down the detailed procedure, but you still
>
> Sorry for not replying to this thread before.
>
> IMO it is definitely worthwhile to clarify the role of core teams within the
> project and to establish some kind of framework to ensure that continuity
> in the work of those teams can be better guaranteed, especially by ensuring
> that the existing team cannot hold the rest of the project "hostage" by
> structurally blocking any change in its membership or blocking access to
> resources [1].
>
> My first objection to the proposal for which you asked for seconds was that
> it did not "read" like a GR. It was also not clear how the GR should be
> implemented after being passed: it proposed a detailed procedure without
> introducing some kind of permanent document to "hold" that procedure.

Well, it was a permanent document in itself. "Together, the developers may
issue nontechnical policy documents and statements." That's all there is to
it...

> I also felt that the original proposal was probably over-engineered and
> like the general idea behind the changes proposed by Lucas.

Okay. I may have gotten sidetracked with the idea of regulating the entire
procedure, because people were responding to parts of it, which made me
think that they weren't opposed to the idea as a whole.

If people don't want that, and just want something more lax, that's fine
by me - just as long as we fix the limbo.

> I also to some extend agree with people who may feel that this proposal
> may be "too late" now as the problems are finally being addressed.
> However, IMO that should not prevent us from clarifying things for the
> future.

It is definitely too late by any standard, because we've had serious issues
with this for at least a decade. Remember when the NM process was completely
closed for a while - that was probably like nine years ago? Gosh, time
flies...

> [1] The case I have in mind here is debian-announce and related resources.

Which is that? I forget...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.