Re: Technical committee resolution

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:45:25PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > or the tech-ctte's involvement in technical improvement of Debian before
> > a conflict exists.
>
> Well, with my Policy delegate hat on, I'd certainly welcome more help in
> that area, but on the other hand I'm not sure I see any specific need for
> the tech-ctte as such to get involved.  What's needed here more than
> anything else is simply more *people* who are actively doing more *work*,
> not more formal authority.
>
> For example, there are currently insufficient Policy proposal reviewers
> active on debian-policy to even reach seconding thresholds on anything
> other than the most obvious or important proposals.
>
> Some of this problem rests with me for not more actively soliciting help.
> I'm working on fixing that, although currently I prioritize my work as a
> Lintian maintainer over my work as a Policy delegate and Policy has been
> losing to Lintian frequently lately.

I think for most people it's unclear what the status of the various
bugs/proposals is.  I think the recent changes to the BTS you did should
atleast make it more clear.

I also think that the process is not clear to everybody.  There is an
policy-process.txt, but that doesn't seem to be current.  From Anthony's
mail about the delegation:
| AIUI, they'll be updating the policy-process document fairly soon to
| make it clear how other people can contribute to policy, and I believe
| that at least Russ and Marga will be spending some time doing some more
| routine policy tasks to improve their understanding of policy related
| issues. I know some other folks have already expressed interest in helping
| out on policy related tasks, and I'm pretty sure the policy team would
| appreciate your assistance, and be glad to offer suggestions on what
| forms your help might take.
[...]
| only includes the authority to create policy
[...]
| In so far as I was concerned that the policy delegation was being
| used to avoid working towards a consensus on technical policy, I've
| been reassured by subsequent discussion both on the -project and -vote
| lists and off-list that no one has any intention of letting that happen.
| The new policy team have my full confidence and support in their technical
| decisions and in their ability to help others contribute to policy,
| both individually and collectively.

I think if you asked for some help where you need it, people will try
and help.  It's just unclear to me how I can help.

Kurt