Re: Q: Small tasks best on the fly? was: Q: All: Account creation latency

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, MJ Ray wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> > [...] It's well known that small
> > task (when they take less than 5 minutes) are usually best done "on the
> > fly" instead of accumulating them. [...]
>
> Where is this well known?  I thought opinion was divided.  See
> Ganging your mosquito tasks http://www.43folders.com/2006/02/01/ganging-tasks
> for example.

I must admit that I've read some "Getting Things Done" related literature
and that this organization method usually suggests to do small tasks on the
fly instead of putting them in a TODO list as putting them in TODO list
takes almost as much time as doing them.

I do use GTD to keep up with all my work. (And an example of this
"on-the-fly" processing is for creation of VCS repositories on Alioth)

http://wiki.43folders.com/index.php/GTD

GTD is quite popular and has been discussed on planet Debian several times
together with the "Inbox Zero" principle... that's why I said "well-known".
But you're right that I should have given more references.

http://www.43folders.com/izero

Raphaël Hertzog