Re: Q: All: Account creation latency

(resending to list, I responded privately by error)

Hi,

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, Nacho Barrientos Arias wrote:
> If you get elected, what will you do to prevent people from waiting
> for weeks (and usually for months) to see their account created after
> DAM approval?

Account creation is not the only problem, Joerg takes too much time to
DAM approve people as well. James creates accounts but he tends to do big
batches only... and when Joerg doesn't process them regularly, it takes
quite some time until we have a sizable number of DD waiting for account
creation.

We need to break that logic. I would like to talk with James and try to
convince him to create accounts as they come. It's well known that small
task (when they take less than 5 minutes) are usually best done "on the
fly" instead of accumulating them. And if Joerg notices that accounts are
created quickly, it will also help him process them more regularly instead
of reviewing AM reports by batches.

On the other side, it would be great if Joerg could create accounts
directly as well. But for this to happen, we need to implement some
changes to userdir-ldap (as right now DSA-like rights are needed to be
able to create accounts, and Joerg is not part of DSA but James is).
Maybe I can get a spec written by discussing with the involved parties and
then find someone to implement it.

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, Marc Haber wrote:
> I would like to extend this question to "what will you do to improve
> the reaction speed of keyring management". We all know that if
> somebody wants to have a new key in the keyring today, that might not
> happen in 2008, which is a <censored> shame. Will you candidates, as
> DPL, take measures (and which measures) to have requested keyring
> changes happen while you're still in power?

I would check with James what's exactly needed so that Jonathan McDowell
<noodles@debian.org> (who has been added to the keyring group by James)
really gets write access to the keyring and can start handling tickets
where one has to modify/update the keyring to close them (maybe part of
the answer is that they should switch to jetring so that they can work
together on the keyring).

I would also ask to be granted read rights on the keyring request tracker,
so that I can have an idea of the work done (or not).

Raphaël Hertzog