Re: Technical committee resolution

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:59:06PM -0400, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> Would you support a resolution which said that if a tech-ctte member
> failed to contribute, or failed to vote for, say, any two questions,
> they would be replaceable at the discretion of the DPL?

I wouldn't.  I don't think this is well-correlated with the ways in which
the TC is failing today (to the extent that it is); a committee member only
has to be on vacation for a week for a vote to happen in his absence, and
resolutions can pass without all of the TC members being available to vote.
Voting on resolutions doesn't matter if no one's doing the hard work of
divining the consensus of the committee so that resolutions will get
*passed*.

> Oh, and we need a way to deal with the structural problem of questions
> which get posed to tech-ctte and simply never answered at all.  Suppose
> the tech-ctte fails to answer a question in, oh, three months, the
> entire membership is removable at the discretion of the DPL?

How do you define "answering" a question? I think we should try to get any
question resolved in < 3 months, but I don't think replacing the committee
when this fails to happen is going to improve anything.