Re: Supermajority requirement off-by-one error, and TC chairmanship

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 02:50:28PM +0000, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 07:24:50PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > The Technical Committee (and those interested in the libc's resolver
> > behaviour) are having some trouble because of an off-by-one error in
> > the supermajority specification in recent versions of the
> > constitution.
> >

> > This was discussed in
> >   http://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2004/05/msg00027.html
> > and has recently caused trouble for an actual vote.

  Well, maybe we could avoid some bike-shedding. While Ian was too busy
writing mails in capital letters, explaining how Debian should weigh in
the IETF RFC drafting, upstream made a proper fix for IPv4, in a very
sensible way, and the problem is gone (and yes we are considering
backporting it to etch, though we missed by few the window for the next
dot release, we will have to take the next one).

  And FWIW, I don't think TC failed to rule because of the majority
rules, but just because the issue was technically not easy to solve at
that time. If Ian had voted against he would have wanted to enforce the
fair split as a "failed" vote instead given how passionate he was about
the issue.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit