Re: Supermajority requirement off-by-one error, and TC chairmanship

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 10:09:57PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> On ven, 2008-02-15 at 15:50 +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > Having said that, I agree with you that it makes sense for the TC to not
> > require 'X + 1', since the electorate is so small anyway;
>
> I don’t understand why the previous argument wouldn’t apply to a small
> number of voters.

Because of the error you're making.  With 6 people, 2/3 of the votes is
4 votes, with no error.  "more than 2/3" needs 5 votes, or 5/6th.  So
even though the stated requirement is "more than 2/3", the actual
requirement is "at least 5/6th".  The difference is 1/6th of the votes,
or 16 2/3%.  In other words, due to the small sample, the requirement is
more than 16% higher than intended.

By making this change, the technical requirement is lowered by epsilon.
The real requirement though, is lowered by 16 2/3%.

This is a choice.  For 50%, I agree with Wouter that we really want an
actual majority.  For supermajories, though, I think this isn't so
important.  The precise value of how much "super" it needs to be is
pretty arbitrary anyway (unlike for 50%, where the meaning is "most
people agree").  Setting this arbitrary value epsilon lower means that
the actual votes (in the case of small samples, such as the TC) are much
closer to what we are saying (2/3 instead of 5/6).

IMO this is totally acceptable for arbitrary values, such as "2/3", but
not for the meaningful value of "1/2".

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html