Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 04:16:43PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> But more fundamentally it doesn't matter.  Combining things that were
> proposed separately seems to be clearly overreaching the authority of the
> Secretary, as there's nothing in "Standard Resolution Procedures" which
> allows this to be done.

IMO A.1.1 allows this, and A.3.4 of course means that the secretary's
opinion on this is the "correct" one.

> >>   Option 1 is either meaningless or an override of a delegate decision,
> >>   but the ballot doesn't reflect this.
> >
> > It is a statement that a delegate decision is unconstitutional.
>
> No, it's not.  It says nothing at all about a delegate decision violating
> either the constitution or the DFSG.  The wording of choice one is a
> delegate decision override, not a statement about what is and is not in
> the consitution or the DFSG, except that it doesn't even mention there
> *was* a delegate decision.

I agree that the wording of several options, including 1 and 5, is very
vague.  I assumed that it was clear that ignoring a DFSG violation for a
release is in itself a violation of the DFSG.  This view is appearantly
not shared by everyone.  Without that assumption, I agree that option 1
is only an override of a delegate's decision.

(This makes some other stuff irrelevant, so I cut it out.)

About ignoring the DFSG:
> > (Note that the constitution doesn't allow them to.)
>
> Please show me exactly where it says that.

Huh?  Should the foundation documents say that they can't be ignored?

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://a82-93-13-222.adsl.xs4all.nl/e-mail.html