Re: call for seconds: on firmware

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 06:29:26PM +0000, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:45:56 -0600, Debian Project Secretary wrote:
>
> >         Since some people have had trouble reading the proposals, I am
> >  including a short impact of the proposal list below the proposal.
>
> Thanks for listing the consequences of the different choices.
>
> In order to make it easier for me and maybe others I'm trying to
> compact them into a single table below (the FD column is from Russ'
> followup mail to -vote).
>
> v Consequence / Proposal >                     | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | FD
> -----------------------------------------------|---|---|---|---|---|---|---
>   i require source for firmware in main        | Y | N | N | N | Y | N | Y

>  ii allow Rel.Team to ignore SC violation bugs | N | N | N | Y | N | N | N

I have a problem with that. Only (4) is _really_ actively taking sides
on that. All the other votes are completely unrelated to the Release
Team decision.

I feel there are two votes, the one about Should we release with or
without the firmware issues, which de facto endorse or rescind the
Release Team decision, and the rest.

Mixing the two issues suck badly, because I believe that the project at
large would want to allow the release team to ignore the firmware bugs
for the release (hence endorsing our choice), while there is no
consensus on the firmware source issues. At least I _believe_ it's where
the project stands, and it did, twice, in the past.

So tying the "allow firmware without / with source" or whatever change
related to that, _with_ the question about "what we do for lenny" are
definitely a bad mix that sounds rather unfair and blocking people from
at the same time not wanting to slow the release for this issue, but
still confirming sourceless firmwares in main are against their
interpretation of the DFSG.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit