Re: call for seconds: on firmware

On Sat, Nov 15 2008, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le samedi 15 novembre 2008 à 09:45 -0600, Debian Project Secretary a
> écrit :
>> | (Since this option overrides the SC, I believe it would require 3:1
>> | majority)
>
> So you get to decide which options need 3:1 majority?

        I thought it was clear that the constitution spelled out that
 amending a foundation document requires the majority. If you want to
 supersede a (part of a)  foundation document, the majority comes into
 play. §4.1.5, etc.

> I don’t understand why you decide that we need a 3:1 majority to allow
> release managers to release lenny, while we do not require such a fuss
> to allow kernel or glibc developers to knowingly violate the social
> contract at each upload.
>
> Why should we consider the stable release process differently from our
> other processes?

        We should not. Ideally, having agreed to the social contract and
 the DFSG,  Debian developers should be working hard to remove non-DFSG
 compliant stuff out of main.

        However, we are human, and  there can be bugs in our packages
 during the work-in-progress stage. Most reasonable people can agree
 that it takes time to fix bugs, so Sid has bugs, and some of these are
 DFSG violation bugs. However, our release of the Debian system is what
 we produce, and we have promised that the Debian system shall be 100%
 free.

        I do think upholding the SC should be a goal for all DD's at any
 time, but YMMV.

        manoj
--
Oh Dad!  We're ALL Devo!