Re: on firmware (possible proposal)

----- "Johannes Wiedersich" <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:

> I would propose to create a new section of the archive, called 'sourceless' or such.
> Stuff within this archive doesn't have full sources. It is legally distributable and
> follows the DFSG with the only exception of missing sources. On top of the DFSG it is
> required that software in 'sourceless' _must not be executed_ on the host CPU.
> 'sourcless' therfore applies to firmware as well as eg. documentation pdfs or images
> without source.

For the sake of argument, what if we created a distribution of Debian that only runs on architectures with more than one CPU. We will designate one of the CPUs to be the "non-free CPU". This CPU will run all "sourceless" software. For this distribution we can move all of non-free into the "sourceless" designation since it does not run on the "host CPU".

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO Brainfood.com
ean@brainfood.com - http://www.brainfood.com - 214-720-0700 x 315