Re: Call for seconds: DFSG violations in Lenny

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 02:23:46PM +0100, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Debian won't run on a large fraction of hardware any more.
> To restate the obvious: After the transition a lot of current debian
> users won't be using debian anymore.

So what's the problem?  We want to provide a 100% free software
distribution.  Appearantly we currently can't do that.  We're far on the
way, but not there yet.  We may have thought we were there, but we were
wrong.

So indeed, people currently running Debian don't run a 100% free
software system.  The simple obvious thing to do, seems to be (to me at
least) to remove non-free parts from main, and tell people the truth:
"currently, we can't offer a 100% free solution, please use this stuff
from non-free, we're working on free solutions".

Instead you seem to invent a new rule, which says "the number of users
of Debian must be as high as possible", and you even want to break SC#1
for this rule.

No, I don't agree.  I don't even agree that this is a good target.  We
shouldn't have "many users" as a goal.  It may be a means to help free
software.  But you're trying to argue that we should harm free software
for the purpose of getting more users.  Let's not do that, please.

Note that the SC is quite clear about helping users who need non-free
things.  We provide infrastructure and such, outside of Debian itself.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://a82-93-13-222.adsl.xs4all.nl/e-mail.html