Re: Call for seconds: DFSG violations in Lenny

On Mon, Nov 10 2008, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 19:27:59 +0100 Robert Millan wrote:
>
>> I think you're trying to imply that somehow SC #1
>> and SC #4 are not consistent.  That is, that "our priorities are our users"
>> is incompatible with our system being "100% free".
>
> They are incompatible. As noted in the thread on debian-devel [1], even
> debian's own servers won't run debian any more, because they require
> non-debian firmware.

        The kernel is not the OS. That is why it is Debian GNU?Linux,
 not just Linux.  And if the firmware is removed, but the re free
 drviers remain, and we can get the non-free blobs from elsewhere, it
 will just be Debian + non-free blobs.

        Frankly, just because I do nt ever use official kernels, and I
 use nvidia drivers, has not led me to conclude I do not run
 Debian. That sound bite seems like hyperbole to me, and weakens your
 argument.

        manoj
--
LILO, you've got me on my knees! (from David Black,
dblack@pilot.njin.net, with apologies to Derek and the Dominos, and