Re: [DRAFT] resolving DFSG violations

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 02:21:17PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 22:31 +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > I knew I haven't quote enough parts of DFSG:
> >
> > 5. Works that do not meet our free software standards
> >
> > We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that do
> > not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have created
> > contrib and non-free areas in our archive for these works. The packages
> > in these areas are not part of the Debian system, although they have
> > been configured for use with Debian. We encourage CD manufacturers to
> > read the licenses of the packages in these areas and determine if they
> > can distribute the packages on their CDs. Thus, although non-free works
> > are not a part of Debian, we support their use and provide
> > infrastructure for non-free packages (such as our bug tracking system
> > and mailing lists).
>
> Right.  We don't put them in Debian.  If the kernel team would do what
> #5 says, I'd be happy, but so far, they are refusing.

Common guys, they are simply refusing to do the work which is their
rights, but they will accept patches. Some bugs are opened for 4 years,
and I still do not see any patch to provide a loading firmware
mechanism.

On the contrary Ben Hutchings has been written patches instead of
complaining. And in a few months we have patches that will be most
likely accepted.