Re: Proposed vote on issue of the day: trademarks and free software

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 07:39:43PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > Debian's people (i.e. debian-legal and so, even equiped with all the
> > TINLA and IANAL disclaimers) are a well regarded and quite well
> > informed body in this regard.
>
> Well-regarded by whom?  I consider the current crop of debian-legal
> participants to have an average (weighted by posting frequency) legal
> knowledge equivalent to the folks who send debian-www letters demanding we
> delete evidence of their idiocy from the Internet.

Weighted by posting frequency is hardly fair: those who are learning
always post more questions and make more mistakes.  They're also far
more likely to get bogged down in the off-topic general legality
discussions which unhelpful people post to -legal and we don't have an
effective way to moderate.  They'll learn.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef