Re: Proposed vote on issue of the day: trademarks and free software

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 04:51:45PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:
>
> > - I've always considered Debian to be a leading member of the Free
> >   Software community; as such, I feel it is our duty to tell others when
> >   we think they are straying off the path of Free Software.
>
> Personally, I'd rather that we not do this.  There are other organizations
> that specialize in this (the FSF, for example), whereas Debian specializes
> in producing a distribution.

That is a head-in-sand attitude.

I'd hope the FSF actually specializes in writing software, rather than
making statements. However, writing Free Software is not possible unless
there is a healthy community around it; the FSF thus takes a leading
role and makes some statements from time to time.

I can't see why the same can't be true for Debian. Sure, our specialty
is a distribution; but we've done things in the past that go beyond
making a distribution, too, and I'd think it would be appropriate in
this case as well.

> Unless the issue directly affects us, it feels to me like a dilution
> of effort and a dilution of focus to make official project statements
> about other people's free software practices.

I wouldn't have suggested this if it was the first time.

The main thing that compelled me to make this proposal is the fact that
many people see the Mozilla project as a leading citizen of the Free
Software community. And if such a leading citizen does something, it
must be good, right?

If this kind of thing is not challenged, it might lead to a dilution of
values and a subsequent repetition of the problem within the larger
community; and that *does* directly affect us.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22