Re: Proposed vote on issue of the day: trademarks and free software

Russ Allbery dijo [Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 10:23:13AM -0700]:
> >> Personally, I'd rather that we not do this.  There are other
> >> organizations that specialize in this (the FSF, for example), whereas
> >> Debian specializes in producing a distribution.
>
> > That is a head-in-sand attitude.
>
> Well, that's certainly blunt and honest, but it probably unfortunately
> makes it clear that there's no room for discussion if your first reaction
> is that negative.  I don't think it's any more a head-in-sand attitude
> than to expect my neighborhood association to not waste its time on
> resolutions about the war in Iraq, regardless of my personal opinions on
> the topic.  Even if there's someone who lives in the neighborhood who's an
> Iraqi veteran.

We, Debian, are often seen as among the groups that most takes care of
the Free Software-definig freedoms. Many people will base their stand
on a Free Software-ish project according to what we say. It is not the
first time this happens. And it won't be the first time that Debian's
probably-extremist positions cause (or help in causing) a change for
good in another project's policies.

Some other people will say we are smoking too much pot and live in a
Free and Rosy Cloud. But over and over, those people have seen the
proof that our stands do have real effect.

So, I fail to see it as outside our scope as you say.

> You're personalizing the position in a way that I think is inappropriate.
> Debian, insofar as it has a head, is supposed to put that head to the goal
> of creating a free software distribution.

...And we distribute things that behave as Free Software, yes. But
when those things start misbehaving... Well, we should not look
away. Debian _does_ have a head and documented procedures. So, Wouter
is proposing going through such a procedure. He is not stating it
officially in the name of us all!

> The individual members of Debian are quite capable of joining
> multiple organizations, including ones who specialize in making
> statements about free software as a concept and tackling issues such
> as this one.  I think it's rather unfair for you to imply that I
> have my head in the sand simply because I would prefer to have the
> organizations to which I belong that specialize in that sort of
> thing doing that work rather than having Debian do it (poorly, since
> it's not what Debian is good at).

...Try not to take it as a personal offense. We are also very good on
erupting flamewars when they are not needed! :)

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23