Re: Proposal - Project infrastructure team procedures

On Fri, 2 May 2008 11:51:53 +0200, Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> said:

> * Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org) [080502 01:27]:
>> Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> writes:

>> > That should not happen normally.  The Constitution should not allow
>> > it either.
>>
>> I agree with this.  I think getting DPL blessing for additional
>> delegates should be simple and straightforward in the normal,
>> uncontroversial case, and there's no reason not to do that and
>> several very good reasons to take the moment required to send the
>> e-mail and ask for it.

> Why not making it the other way, allowing the DPL to remove people if
> he wants?

        Well, that does not sound like a delegation. And as all powers
 flow as powers of the DPL, delegated to other people -- I think the DPL
 ought to be actively involved in delegation.

> So teams can expand themselfs (like the release team
> regularly does), but the DPL can still make sure that no unwanted
> people are delegated there.

        Well, as I read the constitution, the added team members do not
 really have the powers themselves, but are sub-delegates or assistants,
 and the delegated folks have the responsibility. This is like
 sponsorship; the non-DD's do not have the power to upload, but a DD
 takes the responsibility (the DM thing just makes this sub delegation
 of upload powers more automated and formal).

> And, reading the current constitution, we already have it that way.
> Good.

        I still think that it is a good idea to have the DPL in the
 loop.  Are there issues that I am missing? I mean, delegations seems to
 be one of the major tasks that a DPL has; and I don't think there is an
 onerous delay in delegations.

        manoj
--
Chihuahuas drive me crazy.  I can't stand anything that shivers when
it's warm.