Re: Proposal - Project infrastructure team procedures

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 05:21:41PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:10:38 +0200, Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> said:
> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:42:59PM +0100, Clint Adams wrote:
> >> Why are we electing people like that?!
>
> > Because by default we elect nice people, who avoid stepping on
> > people's toes. Which is generally a good thing, but sometimes not.
>
>         So, to compensate for electing bad leaders (people who are too
>  nice to lead are bad leaders, generally), we put all kinds of nasty in
>  a GR for them to beat the developers with?

Er, that kind of reasoning actually goes against the whole Constitution,
because it has all kinds of nasty in it for people to beat each other
with. You shouldn't think of it that way :)

>         People who can't see that all powers in Debian flow from the
>  constitution, are too nice or tremulous o delegate people to core
>  teams, who can only delegate when they feel blessed by the holy pee of
>  this GR, are going to be a disaster anyway, and perhaps we should not
>  make such people even marginally effective by having this GR.
>
>         If they can't lead, perhaps they _should_ be wrapped in cotton
>  wool and prevented from taking any action at all.

I'd take that approach if there was even a hint of hope that an election
could give us a leader without a goodness bias, but because this general
trait is pretty much in the very core of the entire electorate, it's hopeless.

We have to come to terms with how nice we are, and deal with it :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.