Re: Technical committee resolution

Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> writes:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 06:18:37PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

>> What that means is that it is very important that the TC has the very
>> best people on it.  But it is a fact of life - particularly in a
>> volunteer project like Debian - that the best people are often the very
>> same people who are doing the most other stuff.

> That is a fallacy - even if we assume that tech-ctte contains the "very
> best people" of Debian as a whole, and that's an unsufficiently
> supported assumption at that, we don't actually know with anywhere near
> the sufficient amount of certainty that they are the best people for
> committee membership.
>
> And that is orthogonal to the issue of the lack of time, which stands on
> its own.

I do agree with Ian, however, that the tech-ctte is one of the worst
examples for limiting hats for a slightly different reason: the tech-ctte
needs to make decisions for the project that the project can then
implement.  Yes, this has been a weakness already, but one way in which
that could be addressed is by having *more* tech-ctte members who are on
core teams so that they can go make the resolution happen.

For an entirely theoretical example, if the tech-ctte were to make a
decision about what software is acceptable to include in the archive and
Jeorg were on the tech-ctte, I think it would be more, not less, likely
that the decision would then be implemented.

It's not the only way to solve that problem, but having the tech-ctte
members also be natural liaisons to other key parts of Debian is
potentially very helpful.