Re: Technical committee resolution

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

>  > When people are talking about limiting hats, obviously aren't talking
>  > only about the ctte.
>
>         The proposal was to limit the presence of many-hat-bearers from
>   serving on the ctte.

Ok, I was thinking and speaking about limiting hats in a context of
doing it project-wise, not only to the ctte. Sorry for the confusion.

>  > And you're understanding that's only to improve speed. Of all the
>  > problems of the core teams, speed perhaps is not the worst, surely
>  > it's not the only one. Concentration of power and not allowing new
>  > people are more important in my POV.
>
>         That would be a project wide issue, and should not be termed
>   "Technical committee resolution".  As for as concentration of powers,
>   the constitution does address  it, to an extent: it limits the overlap
>   between non-delegate positions.  The delegates do not need such a

Agreed, but that limitation is restricted to very few posts (ctte
chairman, dpl, secretary).

>   constitutional limit, since the DPL can always delegate someone else to
>   the position.

I'm not so sure if the DPL with its very limited powers could stand
doing that change. Of course, I see this as a current problem in the
balance of power.

>         The DPL is also free to not delegate someone who they think has
>   too many hats; I am not sure why a GR is needed about delegations of an
>   elected DPL.

A constitutional change that restricts the hat allocation maybe would
be more effective.

>  > No, it is not arbitrary. Random exclusion, as you posted, is. It is
>  > not arbitrary saying that you have been given enough power and trust
>  > with one hat and that you should refrain from getting more of that.
>  > That is arbitrary or unfair to you?
>
>         It is a vote of no confidence, certainly.  But this again is

I don't think so. It's a way of protecting the project as a whole.

>   something the DPL controls, no? Everyone not on the ctte, or a DPL, or
>   a secretary, is a delegate *of the dpl*. The DPL can choose not to
>   delegate a postion to someone who has too much power.

>From what I could gather there are still several key roles which are
not delegated officially.

>         Not quite. You finding my behaviour inappropriate would not have
>   bothered me (why would I care?). You were imposing a different standard
>   on me _because_ I held a position  with additional duties. That double
>   standard is what I would consider censorship, highly deplorable,
>   disgusting, and worthy of raising a stink about.

OK, please forgive me if you found that insulting. I don't think it's
a double standard, but I think that there are additional
responsibilities that  come with power.

>         Why?  Why should I change my behaviour because I hold such a
>   position? Because speaking straight might cost me the position?

Not at all, all I asked was to change the tone.

>         If someone comes up with a bad proposal, I will still call a
>   spade a spade.

OK, it's fine.

>         Or are you saying you are sure I am shooting down the silly
>   proposals just to retain my seat on the ctte?

No, I'm not sure. I really hope that it's not the case.

>         When you start accusing people of ulterior motives, all style
>   has already been lost.

I really don't want to continue this. I was pointing that in my POV
your tone in this discussion should be less condescending and
aggressive, call it a double standard if you like. If you want to keep
that style and make people raise eyebrows, that's fine with me. I
don't care about this.

>  > I guess that giving control of most important part of a project of
>  > hundreds (or thousands) to a very few set of people, some of them
>  > having too much power, and that some these people become inactive but
>  > still don't allow other people to replace them is perfectly fine in
>  > your POV. I must be watching the wrong channel.

>         Straw man. Amusing how you take my proposal (to find inactive
>   members, or less active members, and bring their heads to the block
>   first), adopt my ideas as your own, and then turn around and castigate
>   me for being opposed to my own idea.

Do you realise that I was talking about "many core teams" (sic) and
not about the ctte (and that was what you dismissed)?

--
Martín Ferrari