Re: Technical committee resolution

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:25:40AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:37:46 +1000, Anthony Towns said:
> > On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 06:54:50PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> >> And, just to make things personal, I submit that one of the problems
> >> is AJ.
> > Because, of course, making things personal is definitely what the
> > technical committee is all about, and just generally a brilliant
> > approach to solving problems.
>         And yet,  further down, you respond in kind.[0]

Responding in kind to a personal attack, who would ever have thought?

Do you agree that making things personal is a bad thing? If so, why aren't
you bothered by the concept of only ever removing the worst person on
the committee to replace them with someone better -- and in particular
the rather personal analysis that's required to work out who's the worst
person on the committee?

> > I don't think the committee would be worse off without you; and I find
> > it fundamentally disturbing that any of the founding members are still
> > members ten years later. The same's true of Manoj (though I'm not sure
> > if he joined when the committee was formed, or shortly after
> > that). Even ftpmaster has changed significantly more than that over
> > the same time period, for example.
>         This I don't understand.  This seems like a blend of appeal to
>  novelty and a personal vendetta;

It's never a good idea to make assumptions about things you don't
understand, especially if the only things you can think of are "personal
vendetta".

Any group that relies on volunteers needs to accept they're going to
generally have to work with the people who've got time, which is very
rarely the best people for the job. If you don't have structures in place
to ensure that you can keep moving with a less than ideal set of people,
you're screwed.

> > The reason I didn't raise this last year was because the only
> > reasonable path to removing members seems to me to be oldest first,
> > and I was pretty sure you'd take that personally; given you're
> > decision to hijack dpkg over coding style preferences, I find I'm not
> > so bothered by what you think anymore.
>         Actually, basing removal on term of service seems to be the
>  least logical of the replacement strategies;  since it care anught for
>  performance, or value of the contribution,

That's a feature, not a bug: it avoids making removing someone from the
ctte have to be viewed as a personal attack.

Relying on someone voluntarily removing themselves also avoids that,
but comes at the cost of putting their personal opinion about their
contribution above that of the project.

Being invited to be a member of the ctte should be a result of
exceptional service to the project. And for additional members, it
is. But for continuing members, it's simply a result of having been
there the previous year and not having been controversial enough to
inspire someone else on the ctte to propose a vote for your removal.

Cheers,
aj