Re: Technical committee resolution

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:07:09 +0000, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote: [...]
>> Let me get this straight. The argument is that since it is hard to
>> remove people for cause in Debian, let us just start removing people
>> at random, even if they are performing well, and maybe, sometime,
>> somehow, that change may lead to an improvement?

> Firstly, it's not random.  It's the oldest.  Maybe random wouldn't be
> so objectionable.  Genetic algorithm optimisation of the TC, anyone?

        As there seems to be no corelation at all between the algorithm
 used and the problem at hand, it is random -- insofar as in that the
 results can not be predicted.

        An alternative is to throw out the member who is youngest.  Or
 use birth month to throw out -- the members born later in the
 year should be thrown out first.  Or people born in odd number years
 go first.

        All thse are equally silly. And selectingone algorithm or the
 other with no regards to if they have any bearing on the solution, or
 have any rationale for actually improving things seems exactly to be an
 argument in favour of novelty.

        Why is no one responding to the fact that the last ingestion of
 new blood did not solve the problems?  Is the argument that the new
 blood selected was the wrong bunch of new blood, and in that case we
 should perhaps also consider purging the new blood, since they did not
 actually help solve the issues?

        Hey. I like the algorithm of slinging out newest members. Silly,
 yes, but no sillier than the proposals at hand.

 {proposing and selecting silly algorithms for arbitarily churning the
 ctte membership elided]

        manoj
--
Consultant, n.: An ordinary man a long way from home.