Re: First CFV for Constitutional amendment: reduce the length of DPL election process

Fabian Pietsch <fabian@canvon.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > ==== AMENDMENT PROPOSAL ====
> > Point 2 remains as before; that is, it will still read:
> >     2. The election begins nine weeks before the leadership post
> >        becomes vacant, or (if it is too late already) immediately.
> > ==== AMENDMENT PROPOSAL ====
>
> Would this really work, formally, with 5.2.8 unchanged?

Yes, it will really work.  5.2.8 would say "The Project Leader serves
for one year from their election." which would still be true.

> It seems to me that a strict reading would give a three week period with
> two DPLs, and the time of DPL vote would slide three weeks backward
> every year... [...]

That would be a very odd reading.  The end of *voting* is not
necessarily the election date - it hasn't been for years. See
http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2007/08/msg00096.html

I feel this amendment would approve current (good IMO) practice,
allowing the handover period.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html tel:+844-4437-237 -