Re: The Debian Maintainers GR

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 01:36:06AM +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> The problems I fear stem from the fact that the DM proposal *changes*
> the system we are used to. The advantage of having Debian Maintainers is
> that they don't need to go through a sponsor every time, in other words
> reducing the time that needs to be spent by all involved people on a
> single upload. I don't believe that all of the time saved is spent on
> quality checks that we will miss in the future, but a part is.
> That *will* have an effect, the only question is how big the change
> actually is.

The proposal is set up so that not just anyone who applies can be DM.
They'll have to have shown some level of competence which implies that
they'll know how to handle at least some corner of the project that they're
interested in very well. My personal hope is that this will largely be on
teams, so that they do end up getting regular package reviews anyhow via
commits to their source repos going to mailing lists.

 - David Nusinow