Re: The Debian Maintainers GR

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 01:57:53AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Hm.  I have to admit I'd be much more inclined to vote for things like
>> this that I don't really like but that may work out if they
>> self-destructed in a year unless confirmed by a second vote.

> There's no real difference between that and someone proposing such a
> vote after twelve months.

I don't agree.  I think the explicit acknowledgement that we're going to
try it for twelve months and scrap it if it doesn't work creates a
considerably different mindset and approach to the second vote.  The
second vote should be a "I've looked at what's happened and I think it's
working and worth keeping" check, not a "people are just sore losers and
repeating previous votes that they lost" thing, and how it's presented in
the initial proposal makes a huge difference there.