Re: Question for all candidates, was: Google SoC 2007 - we're in, sign up quickly!

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, MJ Ray wrote:
> How would other candidates avoid dropping topics like this? [cc'd to
> -vote for these questions, please drop -project or -vote on replies]

This is not really up to the DPL. That would be useless micro-management.
Last year was our first participation and it has had its share of rough
edges in the organization. Nobody has a good overview of everything that
the student achieved. The reports are sent to Google and we didn't impose
any report from the mentor to us. We should fix that this year because
promoting the work of the students is something that should always be
done. I share my part of the blame here, since I was an admin last year.

I also mentored one project and it resulted in http://wotomae.debian.net
http://wiki.debian.org/DWTT
It's far from being perfect and it has performance issues. It lacks
some people willing to use it for real work and fix whatever problems they
encounter. Being mentor is more difficult than one could expect.

Raphaël Hertzog