Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2007: Draft ballot

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:25:26 -0700, Wesley J Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> said:

> On Friday 09 March 2007 18:06, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:08:05 -0700, Wesley J Landaker
>> <wjl@icecavern.net>
> said:
>> > I don't object to hex (although I dislike prefix-less hex
>> > notation quite a bit in general), but this looks like it was
>> > chosen just to avoid having to parse more than one digit or
>> > something. Or was this actually thoroughly thought out and chosen
>> > for a different reason?
>> >
>> > Along those lines, what are we going to do when/if we have more
>> > than 15 choices on a ballot? It's not an unthinkable
>> > situation. Would we not call it hex, but continue the alphabet to
>> > use G-Z? Or would we enter choice number 17 as 11?

        "We" have done nothing about the >8 options so far as I can
 see. Until "we" put in the work, "We" do not get to talk like we have
 responsibility, or a say, in the decisions taken.

>> The last would be silly, and would lead us into the same
>> representational changes devotee is trying to avoid.
>>
>> For those too lazy to look up the code, devotee actually works in
>> Base36 now.

> Hey, you said "hex", not me. Base36 sounds much more reasonable.

        Why complicate the ballot with Base36, instead of the far more
 familiar hexadecimal numbers?

> Thanks for the all insults BTW, I have learned to always expect that
> from you.

        Pot. kettle.  The next time, try to either look at the code
 you condescend to denigrate (kludge my foot), or take a more
 reasonable tone.  Saying that decimal would have been "more
 straightforward" without understanding the ramifications thereof, or
 condescendingly asking if design decisions "were actually thought
 through" will buy you nothing but the ridicule such utterances
 deserve.

        If you are not putting up code, you don't get to
 look down on work that has already been done -- and does the job.

        manoj
--
Help stamp out and abolish redundancy and repetition.