Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2007: Draft ballot

On Friday 09 March 2007 16:18, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Given that this election has a record number of options,
>  making us move to using Hex instead of decimal numbers for ranking,
                           ^^^
>  coupled with the fact that I'll be out of town all of next week, you
>  are getting to see the draft ballot earlier this year than is the
>  norm.

Hmmm, decimal would have been quite a bit more straightforward and required
a lot less of an explanation.

Of course, no big deal for me or for Debian Developers in general, but I
smell a kludge. I don't object to hex (although I dislike prefix-less hex
notation quite a bit in general), but this looks like it was chosen just to
avoid having to parse more than one digit or something. Or was this
actually thoroughly thought out and chosen for a different reason?

Along those lines, what are we going to do when/if we have more than 15
choices on a ballot? It's not an unthinkable situation. Would we not call
it hex, but continue the alphabet to use G-Z? Or would we enter choice
number 17 as 11?

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>