Re: questions to candidates about communication

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 03:30:18AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How much time do you generally have to read Debian-related e-mail?

Too much :)

> How much for the Debian mailing lists?

One hour up to a few hours per day.

> How many lists do you follow, and which ones do you pay real attention to?

I've lost count, really. 20? That's about the number of Debian lists I'm
subscribed to, I think, and there are a number of non-Debian lists I
subscribe to as well.

The ones I pay real attention to changes from time to time, depending on
what is being written there. Currently, they are:
* -devel-announce
* -68k
* -private
* -curiosa
* -devel
* -vote :)

and, to a lesser extent,
* -project
* -newmaint
* -arm

> Have you stopped following a Debian mailing list in the past, and if so,
> what was the most important/common reason for that?

Usually, because the total volume of mail that I received was getting
too high, requiring me to skip interesting mails.

> Could you describe an indicative example or two where you formed
> a distinctly positive or a distinctly negative opinion about a person based
> on what they wrote in a non-trivial flamewar^Wdiscussion? (There is no need
> to name anyone, just describe the situation as you feel is appropriate.)

Not really. I don't easily judge people by what they write on
mailinglists. I think this is one of my strengths; you can flame me
today, and I've probably already forgotten by tomorrow.

Well---Let's say by next week.

> What's your opinion on what it's like for others to be reading our
> mailing lists? Feel free to be vague here :)

I do feel that often, people use wording which might offend, or shock.
Personally, I don't easily feel offended, but that doesn't mean I think
such wording should be allowed.

This is, in fact, one of the things I do want to work on.

> In general, what's your opinion about the quality of communication in
> the project? Freely elaborate this last part :)

It could be much better. We don't do too bad when we agree, or when a
few issues need to be fleshed out; but when we have opposing opinions,
it doesn't work so well. It shouldn't be so hard, I think

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22