Re: Question to candidates: position on non-free?

Hi,

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007, Kari Pahula wrote:
> I would like to hear what the candidates think about the non-free
> section.  Is having it hosted on Debian's infrastructure still worth
> it?

Yes.

> Do you expect that there would be any changes regarding its
> status during your term?

No, but I'm not opposed to changes, only to its removal.

> Do you think that there are going to be
> votes like http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_002 again?

I have no idea. It depends on the timeframe, we will probably have the
discussion again in less than 10 years. I'm not sure it will pop up this
year.

> Gustavo Franco wasn't a DD during this vote and Aigars Mahinov didn't
> vote.  The rest of you: would you still vote like you did in 2004, if
> the issue was brought up again?

Yes, even more today than before. non-free's usefulness was really
dropping at that time but nowadays with the need of firmware and GFDL
documentation, it's really a requirement for us to continue providing
non-free until we have proper free replacements for those.

Raphaël Hertzog