Re: Question to candidates: position on non-free?

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 03:14:49PM +0200, Kari Pahula wrote:
> I would like to hear what the candidates think about the non-free
> section.  Is having it hosted on Debian's infrastructure still worth
> it?  Do you expect that there would be any changes regarding its
> status during your term?  Do you think that there are going to be
> votes like http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_002 again?

I expect there will be, yes.

> A snapshot from http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/gr_non_free_tally.txt:
>
>      Option 1---->: Choice 1: Cease active support of non-free [3:1 majority needed]
>    /  Option 2--->: Choice 2: Re-affirm support for non-free
>    |/  Option 3-->: Choice 3: Further Discussion
>    ||/
[...]
> V: 312	         wouter	Wouter Verhelst
>
> Gustavo Franco wasn't a DD during this vote and Aigars Mahinov didn't
> vote.  The rest of you: would you still vote like you did in 2004, if
> the issue was brought up again?

Yes. I do not think it makes much sense to remove non-free as long as
there still are non-free operating systems that have more mainstream
support than Debian itself. It would simply push us into obscurity,
which is not something I think we should aim for. If the situation
wherein Windows has 90% of market share ever changes significantly
enough for this to be possible (which I don't think will happen during
the next decade or so), I might even second a vote to remove non-free;
but before that time, I think removing non-free is premature.

The fact that non-free isn't installed by default, however, is something
I wholeheartedly support, and will continue to support.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22