Re: Questions to the candidates

Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

> Please drop this, you know the history as well as everybody. Anthony
> started the discussion with his DPL hat because he wanted to do that
> within Debian.
>
> After discussions, he decided to continue that experience outside of
> Debian as DD. One can discuss how much he succeeded at that, but the
> distinction between the initial idea launch as DPL and the setup as DD
> should be pretty clear to any DD who followed the story.

I have followed the story, still to me it seems pretty clear that the
distinction is extremely blurred, at best.

I have not been among the prospective sponsors that dunc-tank asked, so
I don't know whether or how he informed that he was not doing that as
the DPL.  But that even doesn't matter too much.

First of all, I think the fact that he is DPL will influence the other
party's decisions as soon as they know about it, no matter what hat he
is explicitly wearing.  Second, I believe that anyone who is in a
political or management role that gives him power to influence something
*within*some*constitutional*limits*, then he really should accept these
limits and not try to pursue the same aims as a private person in
parallel.  As a real-life example for this, I think a prime minister
should not be the owner of the near-monopolian TV and newspaper company
in the same country.  Similarly, the DPL should not be on the board of an
external group that tries to influence Debian's inner workings, with
money or anything else.

[Need I stress that I do not want to compare our DPL with Berlusconi?
I'd oppose any of these mixed-roles no matter whether I like the aims
that the respective people pursue or not.  I'm only giving two examples
for my general rule of separating internal and external infuences]

Regards, Frank

--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)