Re: Question for candidates: the d-i conflict

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 06:45:48PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 02:10:32PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'd like to ask Anthony and Steve what they think of how they handled
> >the conflict between Frans Pop and Sven Luther, and other candidates how
> >they would have handled this conflict.
>
> I believe I handled the dispute fairly. I spoke to both Sven and Frans
> a huge amount over the months while we tried to mediate. AJ and I came
> up with what we thought was a fair compromise to allow work to
> continue, but it was not found acceptable. At that point we were
> accused of back-stabbing and conspiracy, so I withdrew from the
> proceedings as I saw no reasonable way forward.

Steve, early in the first mediation, i made the proposal to :

  1) i stop discussing problematic issues on debian-boot, and in general keep
  a low profile.
  2) my svn commit access is restablished.
  3) i work only on areas where i know nobody else is working, and which
  interest me, namely the apus and prep ports, for example.

I would like to know from you, why you did not even give me a return about
this until i insisted, and if you proposed this compromise to Frans, and what
effort did you make to actually try to reach a compromise which was acceptable
to both parties.

For your information, quoting Steve Langasek on irc about the above proposal :

  <vorlon> Seems reasonable, but *shrug*

Also, in your opinion of what should be a mediation, do you find it normal and
acceptable that the decision would be taken without even discussing it with
both parties, and seeing if it is acceptable, before going forward and taking
it ?

> >To everyone: how would you avoid such situations to become this
> >problematic in the future?
>
> It's difficult to say, as each situation is unique. In the hope that
> we have reasonable people involved, then mediation may succeed in
> other cases.

So, a second question. Which of the persons involved in this incident do you
consider as non-reasonable ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther