Re: Questions to the candidates

Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> wrote:

>> Do you feel that the DPL is first and foremost The Debian Project
>> Leader, in the sense that anything Debian-related the DPL does, he
>> does so as the DPL, not as a DD or a private person?
>
> Both. Foremost, the position of the DPL is a "hat" that can be put on
> if needed, and shouldn't be put on if there is no clear need for it,
> however it is also important that the person below the hat still has
> the trust and respect of the others. The DPL can only mediate as long
> as he is deemed impartial, and this is a highly subjective judgement
> in which the wearing or non-wearing of hats only plays a minor role.

Do you not see the problem that people might view the DPL's hat on top
of the DD's head, even if the DD think's he isn't wearing it?

> I think this is the main issue people have with dunc-tank: By paying
> people to perform some task in Debian, we'd effectively acknowledge
> that it is necessary to pay them, otherwise we wouldn't. However if
> this is the case, then it is not a once-off thing, but will be
> recurring every year; claiming otherwise asks the question of why this
> particular incident is different and should not be seen as a
> precedent.

I cannot speak for "people", but for *me* this is not the main issue.

Personally, I was pretty undecided with respect to paying the release
managers.  I am *really* angry, however (always must hold myself back
from writing this other four-letter-word with 'u' when spelling
dunc-tank), about the fact that our DPL, as soon as he felt the wind
blowing in his face, turned his back on the project and founded
dunc-tank, out of the control of the project, but with unclear boundary
to it, and with him juggling with DPL, DD and personal hats.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)