Re: Question to the candidates: inclusion of the kFreeBSD-* ports

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 05:17:01PM +0100, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> Hi DPL candidates,
>
> The kFreeBSD ports are now in a good enough shape to be included in
> unstable. Aurélien Jarno got ftpmaster's approval for that during an
> informal conversation at debconf5 [1] but so far, there's been no
> progress on this front.
>
> Since then, the SCC split happened and ftp-master moved to ries, so
> adding more architectures to the archive is no longer a problem, AIUI.
>
> Hence, what is your position on including those new, non-Linux ports ?
> What would the timeframe be like, according to you ?

Giving a reasonable time estimate would require me to know a *slight*
bit more about the FreeBSD ports than I do at this point in time; so I
won't try it.

It seems prudent, however, to have a look at this together with everyone
involved: the porters, the ftpmasters, and the release team. If they
manage to come up with a plan, we should implement it. I think the role
of the DPL in that picture does not have to be much more than getting
the different parties talking, if even that.

> If an ftpmaster was to charge an amount of money to include the new
> architectures (as was the case for amd64), what would, according to
> you, be a reasonable amount ?

That's up to the ftpmaster and the person paying. The alternative is to
wait until one of the ftpmasters has time to do the necessary work,
which may well take too long.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22