Re: Questions to all candidates: Release importance, release blockers, release quality

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 12:16:21PM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> * How important are regular releases for the project?

Very. Individual people may be happy with testing or unstable, but large
corporate users need stable releases in order to be able to use Debian.

> * How important are regular stable point releases for the project?

They are also important, albeit perhaps not as important as regular
stable releases. What they provide is the convenience of having security
updates all in place, and they have especial value for modem users.

> * Should we fix up dak to allow point-releases for old-stable?

No, I don't think that is very useful. Oldstable is there to allow
people to transition to the current stable while not losing security
support. It should not be used for new installations; and since I think
the main advantage which stable point releases bring is convenience on
new installations, there is no point in doing point-releases for
oldstable.

> * Could you list the issues that you think delayed the release of etch?
>   Do you think that we need to restructure the release process for lenny
>   to avoid these? If yes, how?

I did not follow the release process closely enough to properly answer
this. I hear the main reasons were the lack of a decent enough kernel,
but do not know any details.

> * Do you think that a release of high quality is more important than a
>   timely release? [ie: Should we switch from "when it's ready" to "when
>   we said we would release"]

I think both are of equal importance. Debian should not switch to
time-based releases; however, having a general timeframe as we have done
for etch certainly is helpful.

It would be interesting if we could find ways to get lenny released at a
point which is lying closer to the predicted date than will be the case
for etch. However, we should not do this at all cost.

That being said, I don't think any of this is the DPL's responsibility;
the responsibility lies with our Release Managers.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22