Re: Questions to the candidates

On 2/25/07, Kalle Kivimaa <killer@debian.org> wrote:
Now that we are well into the campaigning period, I'd like to ask each
candidate a couple of questions. Feel free to say that "this is
answered in my platform", if that is the case.

What is the role of the DPL? Is he a strong leader, who uses his
position to Get Things Done His Way, a public figurehead, who just
Speaks For The Project, a mediator, who tries to solve internal
squabbles, or something else?

Hi Kalle,

He can be a strong leader, and a strong DPL doesn't just get things
done his way, but get things done for a better universal operating
system. It means that the Debian way sometimes can and will
differ from DPL way and it isn't necessarily bad.

Do you feel that the DPL is first and foremost The Debian Project
Leader, in the sense that anything Debian-related the DPL does, he
does so as the DPL, not as a DD or a private person?

Anything a DPL does or say inside the debsphere can be more harmful or
motivational than if he was a not elected community member (eg.: DD,
NM, whatever). He still can do a lot as a DD or a private person, but
during the term he is more exposed and needs to be committed to his
platform, keeping in mind that he is a DPL mainly because the project
decided that the platform is worth.

There are problems with communication between some key teams and
the rest of the project. What solutions will you try to implement
during the next year?

Great question, i hope the answer is clear in my platform. In some
words: I won't try to solve social problems with technical solutions,
but we need some more visibility to the pending issues and we can do
this technically. The next step is evaluate what is really wrong, who
(if somebody) is missing in action and who will come in to work.

How do you feel about spending Debian monies into buying core
infrastructure support?

I don't think we need to pay for key teams work. We've great and
skilled volunteers already working and a lot just waiting the
opportunity and a better atmosphere.

Currently just about every single conversation on -project and
-vote degenerates immediately into a (minor) flame war. What will you
do to fix the current atmosphere?

I won't, Debian project itself will fix the current atmosphere,
because once i start working on my platform i think it will be the
first intentional side effect in place. There's no magic formula, it's
just a matter of hard work and bring on the table more solutions and
less discussions. Discussions are good, endless discussions have no
point. I want competition and cooperation between teams and single
developers to make a better universal operating system, to work on
solutions and not competition between words, insults. Let's those who
wants to work, do their volunteer job, some who are disappointed will
join us, others don't. I hope the results will be quite good, time
will tell.

I will add your questions and my answers into my campaign page, ok?

regards,
-- stratus
http://stratusandtheswirl.blogspot.com