Re: [GR] DD should be allowed to perform binary-only uploads

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:20:12 -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko
<debian@onerussian.com> said:

> The discussion is either it is as reliable to use emulator (QEMU in
> particular) as the real box. You brought an example where build
> process under emulator failed. I mentioned that it might be not
> emulator false but build chain and you pretty much agree to that. So
> how that brings emulator under question of its equivalence in terms
> of building packages to the real box?

        I should like to say right off that I do not have concrete
 examples of failure or differing behaviour.  But, in theory, any
 emulator is just trying to replicate the behaviour of a pievce of
 hardware, and there are potential issues with both accuracy and
 completeness of emulation. So, unless one is claiming perfect
 emulation, there is alway potential of the emulated behaviour being
 subtly different. This is especially true of computations (built
 tests, etc) that are multi threaded, or otherwise rely on
 synchronization and timing.

        So I can certainly see build time testing giving very
 different results on emulated hardware as opposed to real hardware.

        The greater question is, if the archive masters request
 developers not to submit packages built on emulated hardware, should
 that request not be heeded?

        manoj
--
Wouldn't this be a great world if being insecure and desperate were a
turn-on? "Broadcast News"